V. Matheus – Therapeutic & Educational Consulting seeks out warm, nurturing, professional care providers and environments that focus on whole person, integrative care. We search for and only recommend people and programs that value personal growth, emotional regulation, and life skill development – without an institutionalized or pathology-focused feel. We are a strength-based approach.
“Bright Futures” – by V. Matheus -‐ Therapeutic & Educational Consulting offers college and next-step planning for students who could benefit from a high level of attention and support in the college planning process. We get to know our students through extensive interviewing with both student and family. We personalize the experience and approach to fit your student’s needs, and allocate college environments where your student has the best chance to thrive. We use the application process as both a growing and readying experience for understanding the college environment and expectations.
Profile of Student who will benefit from our service:
- Students who have experienced challenges or disruptions to their academic progress due to mental health or behavioral issues, learning differences, drug abuse/ addiction, developmental or maturity issues.
- Students with unique learning needs, ADHD, or LD .
- Students transitioning out of therapeutic boarding environments.
- Students who have become motivated toward college studies but do not have a strong academic record.
- Students who are seeking a next‐step plan in preparation for a transition to college post high school or therapeutic boarding environment.
- Students who benefit from 1:1 individualized support, guidance, and planning
- Students who may benefit from a gap year or post‐graduate year in order to prepare developmentally, emotionally, and academically for college.
- Transfer students.
Summary of our Process:
- In-depth interview with student and family to assess needs, wishes, and goals.
- Ongoing 1:1 meetings with student to develop vision for next step /college environment, personal, and academic goals.
- Thorough research on background of student to understand academic, developmental, and emotional strengths, challenges and needs
- College Readiness Assessment – identifies academic ability and motivation, self-knowledge and advocacy, executive functioning/life skills, and overall motivation and confidence.
- Assessment of transfer students – situation, development, fit of current college, issues with current college placement, short- and long-term goals/career path.
- Career/major interest and personality inventories/guidance and exploration.
- Identification and selection of appropriate colleges .
- Timeline development for application, essay, SAT & ACT testing, and school visits
- Assistance with application questions, essay writing, and personal statement.
- Preparation and coaching for school visits and interviews.
- Advocacy skills coaching.
- Recommendations programs/plan for summer to prepare for transition to college.
- Assistance for parents on providing strategy, support, and structure around transition.
- Ongoing coaching and guidance for student to prepare for college transition.
- Ongoing communication with parents during process and up to three months after transition to college (or as needed).